"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Monday, October 03, 2005

Mang Roger the Cab Driver

I am just so disgusted by the sheer audacity of some taxi drivers. Today, I had to take a cab to work because I picked up the luggage I’m going to use for my business trip to Bataan from my parents’ house. There was absolutely no other way for me to get to the office because my dad’s dear old van is busted and he had to take it to the shop for repairs. It’s times like these that I wish I have a car despite the chronic oil price hike every couple of weeks.

The first cab driver agreed to take me to Pioneer Street in Mandaluyong from the Masinag Public Market. We were cruising along Marcos Highway when he told me that he’s going to be charging me Php250.00 (about $5 with the conversion rate being Php57:$1) off the bat because he said it’s traffic and all and that he picked me up from the terminal where he still has to pay a barker. I told him in a very firm voice that my destination is not that far and that his price is beyond unreasonable.

I was just outraged and so I went to ‘bitch mode’ telling him to stop the car for me to get off. He slowly decreased the speed and proceeded to drop me off at a gasoline station. As I was disembarking my luggage, he just casually mentioned that he’s just going to grab some food as if to mask his embarrassment at how assertive I was.

I was standing on the side of that dusty road for just a couple of minutes when another cab passed by. I hailed it, told the driver where to take me and immediately hauled my little big-ass luggage behind the driver’s seat. Just as I was about to settle down, he told me that I should add Php50.00 to the tab.

That just sent my temper through the roof! As if by reflex action, I felt my hand pull the door handle and shoved the door wide open a couple of seconds later. In a loud voice, I told him to ‘fugetaboudit’ when what I really meant to say was to stick the handle of his gearshift up his sorry ass.

Third time’s a charm though. I saw this rickety-looking, white Kia Pride and thought what the hell. I seriously needed to get myself in the office a.s.a.p. so I really can’t be choosy at this point. Good decision!

I normally don’t talk to cab drivers but this old man just radiated a positive attitude. He was telling me this wonderful story about his last passenger. It was a rich, old lady that didn’t have any air about her. They had been traveling for quite a distance from Banawe, Quezon City to her house in Cogeo and it was already lunch time. He was as hungry as hell when this lady asked him to go to a Jollibee drive through to buy some food.

He communicated the old lady’s orders to the girl working behind the machine. He told me he had a gut feel that the old lady was going to give him some food because he ordered for four when he only had three passengers – the lady and her two assisstants. He wasn’t really sure so he ordered a hamburger for himself. His gut feel was absolutely right and had a free lunch – both the fried chicken meal and the hamburger.

His positivity was such a breath of fresh air that it just washed away my anger towards the other two drivers. I found out that his name is Mang Roger, he has three sons and six granddaughters. He’s extremely proud of his sons because all of them are achievers in school – eldest graduated with flying colors in UP and is now taking up an MBA aside from being a bank manager at Equitable PCI Bank; the middle graduated with flying colors at La Consolacion College and is now a mid-level manager at Philippine Airlines; his youngest is a mid-ranking police officer in Manila and is currently taking up a law degree. His wife still works at the Bureau of Customs, he’s already a retiree from the Public Works sector and becomes a cab driver every Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays just to pass the time because he’s bored. Oh and he chauffeurs the missus while he’s at it.

Mang Roger turned the tables on me and asked me how many boyfriends I have. I told him none and was genuinely surprised by my answer. He tells me that most of his young passengers have lots. He just reminded me of my own grandfather when he gave me a good-natured advice not to marry young. I retorted that I don’t plan on getting married ever and he was even more shocked. He proceeded to sharing little anecdotes about things that happened in his life to make me not view marriage in such a bad light.

Mang Roger is one of the most gregarious people that I’ve ever known so I didn’t really notice the travel time of about 30 minutes. Aside from that, he was extremely good at his main job – getting me from point A to Point B. He had great knowledge about which routes have light and heavy traffic. I mean, how could he not, he used to work for Public Works!

The total of my cab fare was Php160.00 but I gave him Php200.00 anyways because no amount of money could ever commensurate the value-added services he gives to his customers. If you ever find yourself riding a white Kia Pride with the license plate TMW 914 from the Camaro cab company, say hi to him for me and tell him I will never forget the lessons from my time with him. Know that you’ll always be safe and happy in Mang Roger’s hands.

May the gods and goddesses bless this man and his family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home