"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Newbie's First Day

Last night is my first night as a newbie to the Executive Toastmasters Club and it was such a blast. I was somewhat nervous as I didn't really know anybody and Cathy texted me about a couple of hours earlier that she wouldn't be able to make it in time for the meeting due to her being swamped at work. I made it a point to be in the venue early as I still have to find the specific room where the meeting is going to be held and I had to settle as well my membership fees. I arrived at the Manila Peninsula Hotel around a little past 6:20 and found Crytabel, the incumbent president, at the front of house while Gina and her guest's already seated inside the Recto Function Room.

A couple of minutes later, more and more people started to arrive and we introduced ourselves to each other - there was Rexy, Conrad, Sukhoman (aka Pinky), Irene, Majeed, Khris, Owen, Patrick, Cathy the accountant and a couple of guests from Proctor and Gamble who were shopping around for clubs that could join. Last night's line-up was still missing a couple of people and Pinky asked me if I could be the Ah Counter. I immediately said yes without any hessitation which coincided with that night's theme of "Taking the Plunge."

Things went very smoothly for me from the start to the end of the program. Dinner was wonderful as well although it was kind of pricey - Php 680 for Chicken with Risotto and Vegetables with Seafood Bisque. Overall, I was happy and relieved at the same time because I apparently did a good job with my first task. During the introduction of the club members to each other and to the guests, I was able to commit myself into doing the Icebreaker (Speech project number 1) in the next meeting which is about a forthnight from last night. I've been thinking about what my icebreaker would be since the first time I went to the Executive Toastmasters Club meeting about a month ago and I now have a fairly good idea of my topic and my structure so I better get started if I want to deliver a magnificent performance two weeks from now..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft blogger draws fire for criticising Massachusetts OpenDoc policy
Microsoft Office program manager Brian Jones may have gotten more than he asked for when, in his blog, he attacked the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for moving to the OASIS-backed Open Document file format for ...
Hey I was just blogg surfing and I found you. Great blogg, keep it up. If you are interested in work from home go visit, it is the best stuff I have seen on the net

6:24 PM

 
Blogger Arashi-KIshu said...

Ack! Spam attack!

Good on you, mate! Will definitely be there to see you perform!

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home