"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Something to Cringe About

My last blog entry got me thinking about my family more. I kept running scenarios in my head about what the possibilities are if my cousins in L.A. come across this blog and they get to read my very unflattering remarks about my grandmother. My Catholic schooled cousins Michelle (16ish), Melissa (tweenish) and Michael (10ish) are goody-two shoes. I don’t know how much in agreement they are with the reviled grandmother of mine but based on what I’ve seen every time I’m there, I think she’s pretty much in control of what their general world views are.

What makes it even more complicated is that they live right across my grandparent’s flat. It literally takes me about 3 minutes to go from my grandparent’s 2nd floor apartment, down the stairs, out the gate, cross Ardmore St. to my uncle and aunt’s 2-storey bungalow.

My aunt, my dad’s only female sibling, is as devout as my grandmother although she’s a little progressive – teensy weensy little. I remember a couple of years ago, my grandmother and I clashed just as I was about to leave for LAX for my return flight to Manila. She was forcing to recite one of her stupid novenas and being the hard headed pig that I am (I was born on 1983, ok?) I refused to budge until we came to a standstill. She wouldn’t let me out the door until I do the order that she barked but I was able to get out of the situation because my uncle was concerned about me missing my flight.

While in transit, my aunt was giving me a lecture about how Catholics are going to be saved first compared to people from other faiths. It was such bullshit that I wanted to snap back at her by saying how can they be saved first if the leader of the flock can’t keep their pants up around altar boys. This was around the time of the Catholic priests/child molesters/sex predators fiasco happened. I didn’t say anything of course but I certainly could’ve gone on and on using my grandmother’s idiosyncrasies as an example but I already look like the bad guy because of what happened earlier that evening so I just kept those thoughts in my mind.

Moving on, I don’t think that Michelle, Melissa or Michael are the type to get me into trouble but this is family that we’re talking about and they might feel that they have a right to say their piece to defend their dear, old grandma. The worst part would be if they’d show it to their parents and then transmit the information to my parents.

What if they read my old entries? A big part of my life is revealed to very few people – and by that I mean my sister Louise (and Angelee at times) – and well, I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody gets a heart attack or I get booted out of the family tree by force.

One reason why I had the blog was to share my world. It is one thing for strangers to read, quite another for family members. I could stop writing about things that might get me into trouble but where’s the fun in that if I keep it to myself? Besides, I use my blog to update friends on how I’m doing. Especially friends that are so far away from my reach. Oh well, I’ll take my chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home