"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Thursday, September 07, 2006

What's On The Boob Tube

I am just so in-love with the DSL and Youtube pairing! Over the weekend, I was ecstatic to see a lot of clips that happened during the recently concluded 2006 MTV Video Music Awards in the Big Apple. Patience is one virtue that I need a lot of work on and it is especially true for TV specials.

I was peeved when I got the message “Due to copyright concerns, this video cannot be played outside of the United States” when I tried to play the video clips of the different VMA performances over at www.mtv.com">MTV. I don’t get it. It’s not like they’re never going to show it in the MTV Asia, Europe or Latin America territories. I immediately head over to Youtube and was able to find in an instant the clips that I was looking for. I loved Justin Timberlake’s performance, was amazed at Shakira’s dance moves, got blown away by Beyonce but was iffy about Christina’s new single. As for the other performers, I’m very much looking forward to checking out their albums especially Panic! At The Disco.

One other thing that got me really antsy and impatient was seeing the movie trailer for “Fast Food Nation.” I’m curious as to what they’re going to do with the story line because “Fast Food Nation” is not a narrative (in general) but an investigative factbook type. I read the book a couple of years ago and was able to finish it in 1 ½ days. After devouring the book’s contents, I swore never to eat McDonalds ever again and to minimize my patronage of fast food joints in general.

It reminded me of the time that I finished reading Naomi Klein’s “No Logo” and became idealistic about anti-globalization. The anti-globalization stance, I’m kind of having a hard time on that one because of my inner shopaholic but with the serious health implications (not to mention socio-economic) contained in Eric Schlossinger’s book, I’m sure it will stick. It’s been a long time since I had anything from McDonalds, KFC (thank you PETA for the Kentucky Fried Cruelty campaign), Wendy’s, Popeye’s and Burger King. If I really can’t help it, I stick to Jollibee. Tangkilikin ang sariling atin (Patronize Filipino-made products) :D

9 pm of Saturday and Sunday night, I was glued to ABC 5 for the first semi-final elimination night. They had the 12 male contestants on first and it was a pretty good show. I was disappointed by a couple of people and was shocked to find out the next day that some people who I thought wouldn’t cut it ended up being on the Top 4. I was a bit disillusioned with what happened to Ramirr, the long-haired rocker who did a wonderful rendition of Bon Jovi’s ‘Bed of Roses.’ What happened was a complete Chris Daughtry. Miguel, the baby-faced 17-year-old La Sallista was able to pull off a Jasmine Trias.

If anybody would be able to view Miguel’s performance, I’m telling you it was a complete fiasco. First mistake was his choice of song – it was too mature for his inexperienced self. Second mistake, he couldn’t hit the high notes and his falsetto was very awkward or in some cases, it sounded like somebody scratching their nails on a blackboard. Third, he’s cute alright but during his performance, his face was contorted beyond recognition because he was trying his darnest to reach the high notes of “Highway of Life.” I really thought that he’d get the boot but I guess he was saved by the text brigade of the La Salle community from both the past, the present and maybe even the future. To think that Ryan, the other proud La Sallian on stage, joked that Miguel just lost the Ateneo vote right then and there when he shouted the La Salle motto during the interview that immediately followed his performance. Or it could’ve been his image endorser/boy-next-door cuteness factor that landed him in the Top 4.

Why do I get the feeling that what just happened with the boys won’t be repeated when it’s the girl’s turn? Is it because the guys would automatically have a lot more voters with the combined clout of the female of the species and gays? I don’t mean to offend gays, all right, it’s just an observation. I have a lot of homosexual friends and they’re the best friends anybody could ever wish for.

Speaking of homosexuals, Cosmopolitan Philippines’ Batchelor’s Bash is going to happen yet again over the next couple of days. Hmm, I wonder what it’ll be like. I’ve been to that event two years ago and it was fun. There was only one thing that disappointed me – half the house was filled with homosexuals who were very aggressive in lapping up the models’ attention. I wonder who made it in this year’s edition? I bet Sam Milby’s in the top 10, if not number 1.

Another program that is on my Sunday night habit is QTV 11’s “Ang Pinaka.” I don’t know what’s with chart shows but I am just hooked! The list that they come up with every week is just delightful. They explain at the start of the show the qualifications they have for picking the people in their list. What would make it even better is if they would be able to include concrete facts and figures ala Forbes Magazine to give it an added credibility, especially for people who top the list. The great thing about this list is that it is not biased. You need proof? They don’t include nor exclude stars on their list just because they’re affiliated with a certain network. The show’s producers should congratulate themselves for picking Pia Guanio as its host because she’s a perfect fit.

It shows how much of a couch potato I am, ain’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home