"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Monday, October 16, 2006

Fishbowl

I was watching the first episode of E!’s ‘House of Carters’ over at YouTube Tuesday night and boy, what a guilty pleasure it was! I was a geeky teenybopper eons ago and I couldn’t believe just how gaga I was over Backstreet’s cutie Nick. I thought it was a cool thing to do what with a built-in support system in our all-girls high school but it’s only now that I’ve grown wiser and savvier did I realize how much of a source embarrassment it was.

That, however, did not stop me from wondering the obvious question of ‘Where is he now?’ and ‘Whatever happened to him long after his loyal fans like me grew up and grew out of our teenage phase?’ Sure, his group recently put out an album but sales were pretty dismal (well, at least in my imagination anyway) and the material itself was quite forgettable. A couple of months ago, there circulated a news report that the next time they’ll be putting out another record (the big question is ‘if’ given that they failed to create the same impact they did about a decade ago), there’d be one less member to look forward to. I wonder what he’s going to do doing now.

One day, I finally got an answer when I happen to browse upon E! News while I was channel surfing. Somebody peddled the idea of a reality show starring big brother Nick and his siblings Bobbie Jean (BJ for short), middle child Leslie and fraternal twins Aaron and Angel. Okay, so I know his family members by heart. I confess that I own and have probably read Jane Carter’s official bio on her “panganay” a million times during the apex of my naïveté.

My first reaction was to laugh hysterically. Is he that desperate to salvage what’s left of his career to agree to let cameras inside his crib? Sure, the premise looks good – that the five of them live under one roof after spending 11 years apart from each other -- but would that be enough to sustain viewership once the initial curiosity has been satisfied?

In an age where celebrities are constantly hounded by the paparazzi, why volunteer to live life in a fishbowl? I guess I’d be answering my own question if I say that it’d be to drum up interest in him or probably his siblings. Nobody notices him or his brother anymore so they, in the words of Dawson’s Creek’s chief villain Abby Morgan “create the drama.”

It was fun watching the first episode though. You just know that it’s a train wreck waiting to happen. Let me count the ways – 1) BJ used to be hot. That was when she was the leading lady of German teenybopper singer Gil in his video “If You Only Knew.” What the hell happened to her? She looks pudgy and she’s gotten a whole lot meatier. 2) BJ seems to be following mom’s footsteps – lay off the sauce, will ya? 3) More family secrets unveiled – a lot went around with Aaron’s emancipation from Mom, the divorce and its aftermath. 4) Catfight between Leslie versus Angel and BJ. Calling each other bitch and slut? What the hell?!? Your parents really did screw up in raising kids who call each other horrible names. 5) The Nick, Paris Hilton and Aaron connection. Need I say more? 6) Aaron looks like a druggie with his suspiciously hollow cheeks (compared to Nick’s “fuller” physique) and his always being hyper.

Let’s see what happens in Episode 2 :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home