"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Closet Queen

I happened to tune in to Myx just now and found that they have a special on the Backstreet Boys. They were in town last Friday for a concert which I didn’t go to, by the way. I think I’m going to finish watching this special just for the heck of it.

I have two insights about the whole thing: the first one would be that I can’t believe how old I am. I’m only twenty two and yet the whole thing makes me feel like it was a lifetime ago. Second was that I was really pathetic during most of my teenage years. I was probably the most annoying teenybopper on the face of the earth. Just ask my mom, my dad and my sisters. This was fueled by my fanaticism over a certain boyband that I mentioned above. Don’t even get me started on how crazy I was over them at that time. Trust me, you don’t want to know.

Mid-December of last year, Gerlie, my old friend from high school and college, sent me a text message out of the blue. It said that the Backstreet Boys are going to have a concert by the 20th of January. She said she really wanted to go with me but honestly, I couldn’t care less. If that happened ten year ago then I would’ve said yes without batting an eyelash. Maniacal screams mandatory. For a brief moment, I was in shock and disbelief that after all this time, she’s still a big fan as the Gerlie I knew wayback when.

My initial thoughts were why now that they’re considered by many in the music industry as has beens. They couldn’t get gigs in Europe and in the States that they’re finally tapping into the places that they’ve ignored during the height of their fame? Maybe it’s just the jaded, sarcastic me. But then again, it maybe the product of my growing up and my outgrowing that particular chapter of my life.

Speaking of has-been musicians arriving in the country, that’s the big trend that I’ve noticed over the last couple of years – Boyz II Men, a lot of ‘50’s, ‘60’s, ‘70’s groups and solo acts. The most recent one would be Pat Upton and The Lettermen. What is up with that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home