"Forget Prince Charming. I'll take the wolf." - Emily the Strange

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Best Laid Plan Gone Wrong

Yesterday was Martin's birthday and I kinda had a little surprise in store for him. Unfortunately, things didn't quite work out as planned. I was supposed to call him around 7 am (his time zone), maybe even be his wake up call but that didn't happen. Why, you may ask? I left my phone at home :(

It's all my fault, actually. I was in a street corner waiting for the FX to take me to Cubao when I thought of taking a peek inside my bag for my phone. I thought I saw it and didn't take notice. When I did take a closer look, I found out that my eyes deceived me. At first I thought that it's okay and that it might be a sign of some sorts that something bad's going to happen or something (so I'm a bit superstitious). Only when I got to the office did I remember about my little surprise!

To top things off, there was a little mayhem in the office. Mike was supposed to have a meeting with one of our clients in his office in the Jordanian Consulate but he wasn't able to make it due to his falling ill the previous night. The client was already in the Jordanian Consulate and nobody was attending to them. 'Sacre bleu!' I was practically stuck on the phone for about half an hour or so trying to coordinate the rescheduling of the meeting for today.

I was tempted to go home during lunch break to grab my phone since I planned to call Martin by 2 pm in here. But then, I decided otherwise because it'd take me 3 hours to go from the office to my house and vice versa. I already had a major screw up yesterday (it slipped out of my mind that somebody was supposed to see me by 9 am and I wasn't able to arrive in the office until around noontime) and didn't want to commit another today for fear of being reprimanded or penalized by my other boss - Sir Arnold.

I resolved the issue by going home early - leaving the office around 5 pm so that I'll be home by 7 since it'll still be noontime over in Mainz.

I finally called Martin's cellular phone and there's no answer. I settled for leaving a message in his voicemail and felt a little stupid. I didn't really know what to say and caused me to stutter a bit. I mean, after all I was expecting to talk to Martin and not some pre-recorded message. Afterwards, I went about my business.

I was chatting with Ian and we were discussing his plans to move to Manila when I got a text message from Martin - "Hi Sweetie!Thank you for calling me!Was in university,the Prof tried to kill me!:)..."

My immediate reaction was "What the fuck have I done?!?"

I seriously thought he was at work taking his lunch break. I didn't remember until minutes later that Martin only goes to work during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

"I can't believe I just got him into trouble! Of all the days to do that, it just had to be his birthday."

I called Martin again but this time, though, I finally got to talk to him. I just couldn't stop apologizing profusely to him during the first 30 seconds of the conversation. I was quite relieved to find out that even though his professor disliked cell phones going off in class, Martin didn't get into serious trouble.

I'm crossing my fingers that the e-card I sent him hours earlier made up for that little fiasco :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home